Monday, March 4, 2013

Rutenberg Kenyan Adventure Vol. 1(3)

Greetings! Wanjiru and Adili and I hope you are well. In the last two months much has happened.

We traveled to Gabon (find Kenya on the map and go due west!) for a few days before Wanjiru traveled to the US for several weeks. Gabon was fascinating – like Kenya 20 years ago but everybody speaking French. Great beaches, though, and we spent all of our spare time hanging out with locals near the water. Wanjiru received an award from the Cecilia Attias Foundation for Women.

Construction continues on the roads outside of our home. The progress is impressive and every day it seems there is a new way to get into our apartment complex.

Adili has perfected his Kenyan accent. He now rolls his “R”s and says “Me, I want to go…” or “Me, I want to eat…” His Swahili is also progressing much faster than mine, and I suspect he’ll surpass me (if he has not already) in a few months. Adili learned that the proper way to pick up baby rabbits is by their ears! He also had his first ever school class presentation.

Wanjiru moved Akili Dada to a new office – a real sign that they have grown up!  They are no longer sub-leasing. They also continue to get plenty of accolades and attention, all very well deserved. 

Me, I bought a mountain bike and got a first opportunity to ride when we spent a weekend near Nanyuki. I rode 40 km up to the equator and took a picture. I also got to see a Masai goat/cow/sheep market where my friend picked out two sheep for serving at a party (which he tied into sacks and shoved, alive, into the boot of our car for transport). The entire experience made me very glad to be vegetarian.

Photos and movie available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uv9lrj9jdoppciq/YgWnM1vQiG/Rutenberg%20Kenyan%20Adventure%20till%2009-26-12

Please send us updates of you and your lives!  We miss our US friends.  Lots of love from Nairobi…

IWA

No comments:

Post a Comment